Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Is it True Blonds Have More Fun?

I never really noticed how many fantastic looking brunettes there are out there until I went blond.

Seems that every place I look, I see a gorgeous brunette woman. I was brunette for a very long time. I was born with black hair, not dark brown, but black.

Years passed and I was about 40 when my ex-husband (now late ex-husband) gave me a gift certificate for a complete day of pampering, beauty and luxury at the Elizabeth Arden Day Salon in San Francisco. I think I got something like $700 or $800 worth of treatments and services on this visit.

I was a good friend of my ex-husband's wife, but I really never knew how she felt about him gifting me with something so extravagant. Since we are still friends, I doubt she minded that much.

Man oh man, it was a treat! I had the massage, the manicure, the pedicure, the facial, the make up, the hair and a lovely lunch as well. I was talking to the stylist and told her that I had always wished I could go blond just to try it. She said, "Oh, heck, let's do it!" and I was scared but very willing. I had never done anything drastic with my hair in my life before this.

It took several hours to get me to that perfect silvery blond that she thought would be great with my skin tone. (I'm too olive skinned for the more yellow or reddish tones of blond.) By the time the stylist finished, I was feeling very strange about the woman in the mirror. I seriously didn't recognize myself!

Alex was a little disappointed to see me as a blond. He always liked me dark haired. I guess he's gotten used to it over the years. Now I surprise myself when I see old photos of me brunette! Actually, several years ago, we went to a costume party and I went as Elvira. I wore an almost waist length black and silver wig, a very low cut black dress with a very push up bra and I looked pretty damned good if I do say so myself.

People seeing the photos and only knowing me as a blond have said "My God, woman, you should have been a brunette!"

Here I am as a brunette when I was about 35. I don't know. I always wanted to be a blond when I was growing up. I guess you always want what you don't have, huh?

My kids still kid me about being their little illegal immigrant mama. But I look less the part now!

It's so funny that this girl looks so foreign to me. I barely remember who she was, except that she was very wild. This photo was in a photography magazine and the only thing I was wearing was the smile you see!

Believe it or not, it was not a hard core anything. I used my arms and legs to cover anything too personal, so it was definitely rated PG and not R.

No comments:

Post a Comment