Friday, October 1, 2010

Inside The Emerald Triangle

We left for Mendocino on Wednesday morning.

Although I am a native San Franciscan, I've never been to Mendocino before. Nor had Alex. For that matter, neither had Harry or Honey.

Mendocino is in "The Emerald Triangle", the counties of Mendocino, Humboldt, and Trinity, and is the major production area of marijuana in California and for that matter the US. The region is also called "Behind The Redwood Curtain".

We were going up for a major growers conference. Kidding! We were going up to check it out and spend our 21st anniversary there. I have always heard it's a beautiful area.

After splitting off from Highway 101, we found ourselves traveling on a two lane road through an amazingly dense national redwood forest. I find trees intimidating and frightening in the best of times. I was thinking ocean views and cool temps. I was wrong. The outside temperature reached 106 degrees.

Harry was panting and whimpering despite the air conditioning in the car and so was I. I don't like curvy roads, or trees, or heat for that matter. Harry insisted that we pull over the car every 20 miles or so. He was crying like his bowels were going to explode. I was crying like my head was going to explode.

For those of you who are non-believers, aliens live in the forests. That's why there are all those twisted looking trees. They are there and look up the information from former Air Force officers if you don't believe me!

After about 4 hours, we got to Mendocino. It's kind of rich hippie pretty. Our cabin was cool, the white dudes around town had dreadlocks and had spacey eyes. The wine was good as was the weed. (Just kidding again.) It was way way too hard a trip for the payoff.

No comments:

Post a Comment